Marital Fashion

We all have favorite pieces of clothing in our closet that we like to wear repeatedly. It could be that we like the way they look on us, or the way they make us feel. The problem is, our partners often don’t see it that way. And, out of interest in not hurting our feelings, they never tell us. So we wear these items (in this case, fall corduroys), over and over again, sometimes for years. And then it slips: she doesn’t like them. It could be one word said, or a slight expression….and your personal clothing world is turned upside down. And what happens next is you wonder: what else about me doesn’t she like? My spring scarf?  My summer shorts?  My winter trenchcoat? Your own judgement is tested by such things. But hopefully, a relationship can survive these little skirmishes…I know mine has.  That’s what I think, anyway.

About these ads

About Liza Donnelly

New Book: Women On Men, http://www.narrativemagazine.com/store/book/women-men New Yorker and Forbes cartoonist and writer, TED speaker
This entry was posted in Random but Relevant and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Marital Fashion

1. Love it, liza! Sometimes marriage is an old shirt and fall corduroys.

2. carolita says:

I don’t give a rat’s ass what my partner thinks of my clothing. And he is not allowed to wear anything I veto. If I’m happy, we’re both happy.

3. Rob Husberg says:

Heavens, Carolita! And I thought corduroys rubbed me the wrong way.
    Fun post, Liza…you certainly opened a can of moths!

4. carolita says:

It’s my policy to only rub my own man the right way. :)

5. Rob Husberg says:

Touche’!…Most excellent rejoinder, Carolita!
    Thank you again, Liza, for providing us with so much fun!

6. Notice I reversed the cartoon: it’s the man here who is worried what the woman thinks!

Thanks, guys, glad you enjoyed! (These cartoons are rarely directly about me, btw)

7. carolita says:

How is that reversed?

8. Rob Husberg says:

The moral of the story: familiarity breeds contemptible clothing.